Monday, October 1, 2012

Super Easy, Fast, Friendly Cheesy Kale Chips

Hooray for Vegan Mofo!  We participated last year and had a lot of fun!  This year we are aiming to provide our everyday life recipes that are simple, fairly quick and remind us of meals we used love.  He works and a hospital and I own my own business, so it gets hard to find time to stay healthy, but I think we've found our groove!






Super Easy, Fast, Friendly Cheesy Kale Chips!

OK, if you're like me, you LOVE LOVE LOVE you some chips!  I used to love a big ol
 bag of fresh potato chips once upon a time.  But alas, I know better, so I found a way to replace them.

After much experimenting, we found a kick-ass way to make "chips" really fast and delicious!

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 bunch kale (organic) washed and dried well
  • 3 tbs nutritional yeast
  • 1 squirt lemon
  • 1 1/2 cups raw cashews  (you can pre-soak for an hour or 2 or not)
  • 1 red bell pepper (small)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • olive oil
  • water
  • appetite
  • Pre-heat oven to 405-425 depending on your oven
  • cookie sheet with foil, silpat whatever you have
  • Vitamix/good blender
Preparing the Kale:
You will want to wash and get them DRY.  I just rip them where they contour, to make small chip size pieces and put them in a large bowl.  You can be a little more professional than me and use a knife to make clean cuts.  Make sure not to use the middle rib and that you are just ripping off the leaves.  Save the middle rib for your juice or smoothie later!  Add a swirl of olive oil to the kale and get your hand in there to start tossing!  (I can usually get 2 bowl of kale chips out of one thing of kale - don't over flow your bowl save half for the next batch)

Preparing the Cheesy Saucey deliciousness:
I use a Vitamix, I am not sure a regular blender will get you the right consistency for this sauce...   In your blender ad cashews, red pepper (without stem or seeds), nutritional protein and lemon.  I like to add a splash of water so everything gets blended up smooth.

Now taste it!!!!!!  Sometimes I end up adding up to 6 tbs of nutritional protein depending on my batch of cashews.  The more NP you put in the "cheesier" it tastes. 

Making the chips:
Pour HALF of the cheese sauce you made into the bowl with the kale.  I enjoy tossing it with my hands to coat all the pieces.  You want a light to moderate coat so the don't get to soggy.

On your cookie sheet, use foil - or I highly recommend a Silpat if you have one.  Spread the chips evenly out over the sheet trying not to over lap too much.


After you have put them on your sheet, add salt and pepper to taste.

Stick that guy in the oven for a bout 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven and start working or your second half.  You will know when they are finished because the will shrink and turn a little darker.  I like mine with crispy edges and a little bit of a chewy middle.  You can also use a dehydrator if you are not in a time crunch.

Presto!  Delicious chips you don't have to feel guilty about!  So pop in that movie and snuggle up with your significant other and snack on a nice big bowl of cheesy kale chips!!!!!! 





4 comments:

  1. Mmm... These look really tasty. I'm always on the lookout for the "perfect" kale chip recipe and this just might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fooled some tough critics with this one! They all thought it tasted just like cheese! You definitely can't eat just one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave you a shout-out on my Week 1 Vegan MoFo round-up post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY!!!!!! YEAHHHHH!!! Thank you JL - much appreciated!

      Delete

Let's hear your Earthly opinion!